Thursday, October 8, 2009

Knitting Lust






I want to knit this coat.  This is a gorgeous coat and I would love to wrap up in it on a cold day and just snuggle in.  This picture is not as good as the one on the cover of the Interweave Knits, the magazine that has the pattern for it.  The problem is, the  yarn for it, 16 skeins of Manos de Uruguay Classica, which is a gorgeous unevenly spun single-ply wool, hand-dyed by a women's collective, would cost about $240.  This does not include the three big beautiful designer buttons, most likely about $10 apiece.  So I looked at other resources and other yarns about the same weight and color.  The best substitute I could come up with (nowhere near as textured or beautifully dyed) would cost $80 if I used my cheapest resource.  But there is still no way I could justify spending $80 on yarn for myself, let alone the time it would take to knit the thing.

So I will look at the picture and think about how nice it would be for about a minute and go back to knitting this one for my granddaughter Isabelle instead.  Not in purple, but a gorgeous golden green baby alpaca from Peru.  Soft as a kitten.  Warm for the Indiana winter.  Hope she likes it. 




Photo credit: Interweave Knits



No comments:

Post a Comment