Wednesday, October 21, 2009

NaNoWriMo






Once upon a time in a town called NashVegas there lived an old lady who totally lost her mind and signed up to write an entire novel during the month of November -- 175 pages in 30 days. 

That would be me.  I went to the NaNoWriMo website and filled out the sign-up form. I have no idea about the plot or subject or who the characters will be.  I am banking on stream of consciousness and a lot of coffee to get me through it.  The rules say quantity (50,000 words), not quality is the goal here.  That's a good thing.  You can't use anything you've written before.  That means I can't use this as an excuse to whip out my old St. Francis biography, clean it up and pass it off as something new.  1667 words per day.  That's more than half again as long as my 1032 word Ronnie's Legacy blog entry, which is longish. Still, it's doable. 

Even with a trip to Noblesville for Thanksgiving with Jennifer and John and the kids?   So some days I will write more than 1667 words and some others, fewer.  I'm going to try. 

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month.  It's an annual event which began in San Francisco in 1999 with 21 participants and last year, it had 100,000 participants from all over the world.

I have been writing all my life, but this is a first.  Never a novel.  Well, Grandma Moses started painting at 80.  I figure that gives me a 9-year head start...

How about you?  There's still time left to sign up!  This is amateur night on a grand scale.  No experience necessary.  http://www.nanowrimo.org/  Come on -- I dare you!

Photo credit: NaNoWriMo

 

No comments:

Post a Comment